What follows is the second post about the great Mayu Watanabe of AKB48. Japanese idol singer Mayu Watanabe has been one of AKB48’s most popular members in her career. Mayu is the center for Kokoro no Placard, Kibouteki Refrain, and Green Flash. She has also been the center for the song called So Long! That is AKB48’s 30th single and it comes after Eien Pressure. This tribute to Mayu Watanabe of Saitama follows in the tradition of tribute posts that I have done on this magazine so far. This next one is the one after sexy Japanese idol singer Aki Takajo who is one of my favorite Japanese idols along with Sayaka Yamamoto of NMB48. I have also written a tribute to the lovely Yuki Kashiwagi and Minami Takahashi known by her famous nickname of Takamina. Of these Japanese idols mentioned, Kashiwagi, Yamamoto, and Mayuyu are still active in their groups.
Japanese idol singer Mayu Watanabe has also done bikini and fashion modeling, showing her bikini body in the photo book Mayuyu or her second solo photo book which has a really long name. In May 2014, Mayu appeared in Weekly Playboy Magazine with Yuki Kashiwagi (another very cute Japanese idol). Kashiwagi is only 25 and she was also a member of the sub-unit French Kiss. Kashiwagi and Watanabe would appear on this same magazine in September 2014. The theme for that photo shoot would be called TOP3 “White Letter.” Joining them in that photo shoot was Rino Sashihara of HKT48. Sashihara has released a photo book of her own called Neko ni Maketa. With Rina Kawaei having graduated, Mayuyu is still a force to be reckoned with and if history is any indication, she should continue to be popular. Mayu has been on the cover of FLASH Magazine as well. This writing about Watanabe continues the tradition of covering the subject of AKB48 girls in bikinis. Mayuyu is definitely cute but she is not as beautiful as the amazing Aki Takajo. Takajo was seen dressed in a bikini several times in her career. I would say that her defining moment as a bikini model came in August 2011. In that month, Takajo was featured in Big Comic Spirits as a sexy supermodel! Mayu Watanabe finished at #1 after the 37th single Senbatsu Election. Rina Kawaei also had an impressive finish, ranking at #16. That ranking put her in the category of the Senbatsu Girls. Mayu has released five solo singles to date including my favorite one called Otona Jellybeans. Here is a guitar cover of her single Synchro Tokimeki!
She has done all this and she is only 22 years old! Mayu Watanabe has proven that she is both successful and extremely cute. It is no wonder that she consistently has been a fan favorite. If an AKB48 idol is ranked somewhere in the top 16 spots at the end of each General Election, they are part of the Senbatsu Girls category and that’s some pretty elite company to be in!
Profile of Japanese idol singer Mayu Watanabe and interesting facts
- Date of birth: March 26, 1994
- Place of birth: Saitama, Japan
- Made her AKB48 debut in December 2006 as a part of the 3rd generation.
- She likes to collect things that have polka dots on them.
- She likes anything that is pink and anything that is cute.
- She likes pirukuru (a health drink).
- Vegetables are her least favorite food.
- She loves chicken karaage and mushrooms.
- Her charm point is said to be her eyebrows.
- It is said that her face looks like that of her mother.
- Mayu has two older sisters.
- She was a member of her school’s wind instruments club. She was also a member of her school’s health committee.
- She is friends with Aika Oota, Yuki Kashiwagi, Marina Kobayashi, and the beautiful Yuko Oshima!
- She is a former member of the sub-unit Watarirouka Hashiritai. The group’s name was sometimes known as Watarirouka Hashiritai 7.
- She is a fan of the idol group Nogizaka46 and her oshimen (mentor) is Ikoma Rina.
- She wears contact lenses.
- She is good at drawing.
- She is known for her perfect butt! Members of AKB48 have voted her #1 in the best butt ranking.
- She has never dyed her hair.
- She is sometimes called the CG or cyborg due to her “perfect idol appearance” but in recent years this nickname is less common.
- Her name was thought of by her grandmother.
- Mayuyu is the nickname given to Watanabe by former member Rumi Yonezawa.
- Mayu often looks in the mirror.
Mayu Watanabe is the only “old” original member of AKB48 that is still active along with Haruna Kojima. Watanabe has been with AKB48 since almost the start of the group. Her debut single with AKB48 was BINGO! She has also been a member for the famous hit single Heavy Rotation as well as Manatsu No Sounds Good! (the last single to feature Atsuko Maeda as a member). Mayu was one of four centers for the single Sayonara Crawl. The other three members to be centers for the song were Haruka Shimazaki, Tomomi Itano, and Yuko Oshima. Watanabe was also a member for the single Kuchibiru ni Be My Baby. AKB48 has since released three more singles and they are Kimi wa Melody, Tsubasa wa Iranai, and LOVE TRIP/Shiawase wo Wakenasai. AKB48 producer Yasushi Akimoto once said that Mayu Watanabe was born to be an idol. Watanabe was originally chosen to be one of the centers for the song UZA with Jurina Matsui. However, because she had problems with the choreography, this job was given to Yuko Oshima. Watanabe has been so popular as an idol singer that she has ranked among the top 5 members for each Senbatsu Election since 2009! Watanabe was also recognized for her fashion sense and beauty. In September 2014, Watanabe won a long hair style award during an event for “The Beauty Week Award 2014.” Watanabe was also chosen to do voice acting for the American film Percy Jackson & the Olympians: Sea of Monsters back in 2013. I like Mayuyu however, she cannot compare to the sexiness of NMB48’s Sayaka Yamamoto. Yamamoto is on another planet as far as physical beauty is concerned. But nonetheless, Mayu Watanabe is an idol singer that has done it all. She has been a loyal member of AKB48 since 2006, been involved in several magazines as a bikini/swimsuit model, released two photo books and established a solo career for herself.
Great job Mayuyu! I think that Akimoto’s statement that Mayu was born to be an idol singer is logical! The man who has been responsible for the expansion of AKB48 across Japan and overseas certainly knows what he is talking about! Japanese idol singer Mayu Watanabe also has a cute kind of voice and she can dance!