Japanese idol singer Anna Iriyama is a member of the famous girl group AKB48 and a member of its Team A.
She also rose to prominence because of her time spent with Rina Kawaei. Iriyama has been with AKB48 now for 6.5 years having made her debut in March 2010. Her first AKB48 Senbatsu Election where she was ranked was in 2013 when she ranked at #30. In 2014 in the 6th Senbatsu Election, Iriyama finished at a slightly better ranking, being ranked at #20. After not being ranked in 2015, Iriyama was ranked at #18 in the 2016 Senbatsu Election. As I have written before, these Senbatsu or general elections are held every year to determine which members sing on the group’s singles. The member that gets the most votes from the fans is named as center for the group’s next single. Anna has sang on the A-side and B-side tracks of many of the group’s singles including Chance No Junban. She also sang on the A-side song for the single called Manatsu no Sounds Good! That was the last single to have Atsuko Maeda as a member. Becoming as popular as Maeda will be very tough for any of these girls because Maeda was such a popular member that she was considered “the face of AKB48.” Other singles that Iriyama has taken part in as a member include UZA, Sayonara Crawl, Koi suru Fortune Cookie, Heart Ereki, Labrador Retriever, Green Flash, and the group’s latest single called High Tension. However, the last single that I wrote about is the one called Kuchibiru ni Be My Baby.
Along with her success in AKB48, Anna has also met tragedy in her life. On May 25, 2014, Iriyama, her band mate Rina Kawaei, and a member of the staff was attacked during a handshake event in Iwate Prefecture on May 25, 2014. A crazed AKB48 fan attacked the girls using a saw. Although Iriyama and Kawaei were seriously injured, they both recovered from their injuries. Kawaei eventually announced her graduation from AKB48 stating that she could no longer bring herself to attend these handshake events any longer. The incident has left Kawaei psychologically traumatized. I’ve said before that I am so glad that these two members survived the incident and my thoughts and prayers go out to their families. Iriyama and Kawaei were released from the hospital two days later on May 27, 2014. For those of you that may not know, a handshake event is where fans can meet and greet the AKB48 girls and get autographs as well as copies of the group’s CD’s. Who really is Japanese Idol singer Anna Iriyama?
Interesting Facts about Japanese Idol singer Anna Iriyama
- Anna’s hobbies include watching anime, comedy shows, listening to music and reading manga.
- Her favorite animes include Gintama and K-ON!
- Her favorite book is Shigematsu Kiyoshi-Silent Night.
- Chewing gum is her favorite candy.
- Anna’s favorite actresses are Mirei Kiritani and Saki Aibu who I think is one of the most beautiful women in the world!
- Anna loves to drink ho water.
- Her favorite game is AKB 1/48.
- Her favorite numbers are 7 and 100.
- Spring is her favorite season.
- The rabbit is her favorite animal.
- Her strongest subject is math.
- Anna’s favorite country is Italy.
- Her favorite colors are pink, white, and pastel colors.
- Anna’s favorite songs in AKB48 and SKE48 are Only Today and Kataomoi Finally.
- Anna enjoys eating strawberries and her mother’s homemade croquet.
- Anna has a younger sister.
- Anna is a member of the Culture Club.
- She is a close friend of Abe Maria.
- She is also known for her close relationship with Rena Kato.
- When Anna was in elementary school, she was called “long-arms.”
- Interestingly enough, she loves her wrists but she hates physical fitness.
- She once wanted to have a butler.
- She believes in fortune telling only if it tells good things.
- Due to her facial features, many fans asked Iriyama if she is part European. Anna confirmed that she is full Japanese but she began mixing English words into her speech to play off of the fans confusion.
- She got the role of Yoga in the AKB48 drama Majisuka Gakuen 4 but she revealed that she has a pretty stiff body compared to that character. Anna has also starred in Majisuka Gakuen 3 and Majisuka Gakuen 5.
- Anna is from Chiba, the same area of Japan that gave us gravure model Harumi Nemoto and Atsuko Maeda.
- Anna is a member of the special unit called AnRiRe. This unit was created from the song Ikuji Nashi Masquerade which is Rino Sashihara’s 2nd solo single. So this special group also has Rina Kawaei and Rena Kato as members.
After she recovered from her injuries, Iriyama starred in TV Asahi’s drama called Kurofuku Monogatari. Anna has also done work as a lingerie model. She made an appearance in the Winter 2014 Volume 91 of Peach John Magazine. Anna also displayed her sexy bikini body while walking along a beach in Hawaii! So that is who Anna Iriyama is and I hope that she can be one of the top 16 girls in next year’s general election.