Japanese idol Mizuki Fukumura has been with girl group Morning Musume (now Morning Musume 16) for more than 5 and a half years. She rose to prominence because of being named its next group leader and this next post will focus on the importance of this leadership role. But first, how did Japanese idol Mizuki Fukumura get become the next leader of Morning Musume 14 (the name that the group had in 2014)?
How Japanese Idol Mizuki Fukumura Became Leader (the story in brief)
Mizuki Fukumura, the Japanese idol singer that is part of the 9th generation of the girl group Morning Musume 16 was named as the group’s next leader. This is because member Sayumi Michishige has now officially graduated from the group following a concert that the group did. It is a common practice for these Japanese idols to hold graduation concerts before leaving the group. Their last show on this tour was at the Yokohama Arena. The Sayumi Michishige graduation happened following a fall concert that Morning Musume did. Michishige who is now 27 years old joined Morning Musume back in 2003 as a sixth generation member of the group. At the time, the other members that joined her were Miki Fujimoto, Eri Kamei, and Reina Tanaka. In October 2013, Michishige became the member with the longest tenure in the group’s history, surpassing Ai Takahashi and Risa Niigaki. During her graduation ceremony, Michishige revealed that she was not initially interested in show business, nor did she want to sing or dance. She said that she was here and stayed in the group because she loved Morning Musume. The arena was packed with 12,000 people in the audience. This marked the end of a career for Sayumi Michishige who has been with Morning Musume since she was a teenager. She announced that she would be taking a break from the entertainment industry for an indefinite period. Haruna Iikubo and Erina Ikuta were chosen as the sub-leaders for Morning Musume 14. Yuko Nakazawa and Reina Tanaka were there on the stage to celebrate the graduation of Sayumi. Also in attendance at the concert were Morning Musume producer Tsunku, Mai Satoda and her husband Masahiro Tanaka. Tanaka is one of the followers of Japanese idol singer Yui Yokoyama on her Twitter account. During this concert, Morning Musume 14 had a huge set list. They performed 32 songs including Shabadaba Doo which is Michishige’s solo song. Other songs that were performed include TIKI BUN, Wagamama Ki no Mama Ai No Joke and Akai Freesia. This was the set piece for the audition that selected the 6th generation members. Maimi Yajima, member of the girl group called C-ute was named as the new leader of Hello! Project then.
A Brief Summary of Why Morning Musume is Amazing
When I look back on the longevity of Morning Musume, it is simply amazing. They have been active as a group for three different decades since their start as a group in September 1997. They had their first leader in Yuko Nakazawa that joined them when she was 24 years old. They also had the lovely Asuka Fukuda and Natsumi Abe who has dazzled fans in Japan with her many photo book releases including the one called Subway which she released back in 2012. Following this first generation of five girls, then came the second generation of members which included Sayaka Ichii whom I absolutely adore and Kei Yasuda. I really like Ichii because she can sing and she has a great body as well. Sayaka Ichii is from Chiba, which produced such great celebrities as Harumi Nemoto and Atsuko Maeda. What is it about that part of Japan that has produced these awesome ladies? I don’t know but it may be something having to do with the food or the water over there. Mari Yaguchi also was a member of this generation but she got in trouble following an extramarital affair which led to her getting divorced. Then came Maki Goto who was the only 3rd generation member to have passed the audition successfully. After Goto came the 4th generation of Nozomi Tsugi, Ai Kago, Hitomi Yoshizawa, and Rika Ishikawa. Then the 5th generation of Morning Musume has a few of my favorite members which are the mentioned Risa Niigaki and the lovely Makoto Ogawa. The sixth generation that came along was involved in the 2010 album called 10 My Me which has the awesome song called Kimagure Princess. Kimagure Princess is the group’s 41st single. The group has now had 12 generations of members. With the graduation of Sayumi Michishige there are now no more members in the group left that are from the first 8 generations.
Japanese Idol Mizuki Fukumura And Her Importance As Band Leader
Why is it important to mention that Mizuki has been named as the then new leader? First of all because she was only 18 years old and for this to happen, it is a big step for her at this young age. This is a great accomplishment for Fukumura who was coming off her first successful photo book release. She has now released three photo books as of 2016. Her latest one is called Kagayaki. Here are several gorgeous shots from that photo book! She is really cute and has grown up so much in just a few years!
Japanese Idol Mizuki Fukumura has also done gravure modeling!
By doing so, she has joined Aki Takajo as another Japanese singer to have done modeling on the island of Guam. The title of her first photo book is called MIZUKI. Mizuki Fukumura has released a photo book shot in Guam and is now a leader of one of the biggest pop music groups in the world.
Since some of you have an idea of who Japanese Idol Mizuki Fukumura is, it is essential to provide some interesting facts about what Morning Musume is.
Interesting facts about girl group Morning Musume
- Also known as Momosu or “Morning Girls,” Morning Musume was formed based on the ideas of their producer TSUNKU who is also the main lyricist for the group. He is responsible for making most of the major decisions about members graduating and sub-groups.
- Morning Musume’s record label is Zetima Records.
- Hello! Project is the name of the larger group that is all produced by TSUNKU. This group also includes the bands such as Hello! Project Kids, Coconute Musume, Country Musume (now known as Country Girls), Aya Matsuura, Maki Goto, Yuko Nakazawa, and Michiyo Heike. These groups go on tours together and coordinate their released material.
- Coconuts Musume is not a sub-group of Morning Musume because most of its members are not from Morning Musume. Originally, this group had five members from Hawaii.
- Tanpopo however is a sub-group of Morning Musume because their members are a part of Morning Musume.
- Country Musume is a group in which the goal was to recruit girls from Hokkaido. As a result, members such as Rika Ishikawa, Miki Fujimoto, and Asami Konno joined the group.
- Country Girls now has Momoko Tsugunaga (Tsugunaga Momoko), former member of the girl group Berryz Koubou as a member. Note: for those of you that are interested in this group, check out my post about Risako Sugaya.
- Five girls, Yuko Nakazawa, Natsumi Abe, Kaori Iida, Aya Ishiguro, and Asuka Fukuda were required to sell 50,000 singles to be a part of Morning Musume. They met that goal in just 4 days!
- Ayaka Kimura, a member of the group Coconuts Musume has asked the girls of Morning Musume to learn English phrases or asked them to answer questions in English. Those members who did well would receive desserts as a treat.
- The third generation audition produced only one winner and that is Maki Goto.
- Space Venus a PlayStation game allows the user to play around and create Morning Musume videos. On weekends on Japan’s Fuji TV a popular TV show called Hello! Morning always gets lots of viewership.
- The Love Machine Curse predicts when Morning Musume members will graduate or leave the group.
- Love Machine is a very popular single that Atsuko Maeda of AKB48 says is the first CD that she ever bought.